Sunday, April 24, 2011

Why This Journey

In September 2010, or maybe it was October, I think it was October I went to the doctor for a routine checkup. Because of my family medical history, I have to check everything to make sure everything is everything. Lab results came back, and guess what! I have high cholesterol. Who knew?! I am 32 years old, and I have high cholesterol.

I must admit I have not been the best, when it comes to taking care of me. I never did pay attention to what I was eating, and after my daughter was born, in 2008, I must have gained over 30lbs. With the stress of family, work, and school I never had time to focus on my health. When I did start to workout in November 2009, it was because a male co-worker made a very slick comment about how much weight I had gained.

Working out five times a week became a part of my daily routine, and I dropped 15 pounds over the course of a year. Then family, work, and school started to consume me once again, and I stopped working out. I know excuses, excuses. It is the truth though! I was dedicated enough to work 12 hour days, but I was not disciplined enough to work out one hour each day. The one thing I have been disciplined about is not eating beef. Surprisingly giving up beef was not a hard thing to do. Lord knows I miss eating a juicy steak from Texas Land and Cattle, and a Big Mac meal from McDonalds.

Here it is April 2011. I went back to the doctor just last week to check my cholesterol again, and now my cholesterol levels are higher than they were before. Uuggh…cannot blame anyone but me. I am so angry with myself. As much as I say I do not want to die young, here I am killing myself. 

So this is no longer about me, this is about my kids. If I cannot be disciplined enough for me, then I need to be disciplined enough for them. I am starting this journey to a healthier me for Devin and Leah.

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry! I love that you are doing this blog and I LOVE that you are empowering yourself to take better care of YOU...even if you say that you are doing it for the kids. I so need to do the same thing. Been dealing with high blood pressure for almost 14yrs. Surely, I don't want my girls growing up without me and surely I want to hold my great grandbabies one day...like Dea. I'm going to join you on your journey. Day #1 starts today!

    ReplyDelete